Getting a Diagnostic Assessment

Diagnostic Assessments can be carried out by a qualified Educational Psychologists or a Specialist Assessor,

The following organisations and individuals provide assessments for a range of SpLDs (Specific Learning Difficulties such as Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia, ADHD) for children and adults.

We are not recommending any of these in particular. We suggest you look at websites and contact those whichever you feel would suit your (or your child’s) needs.


Dyslexia Information, Training, Teaching, Assessment Service

Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre


01252 792400 (Farnham)

Independent Dyslexia Consultants(was Adult Dyslexia & Skill Development Centre)

PhoneGeneral Enquiries

020 7388 8744


020 7383 3724

Dyslexia Assessment and Consultancy

Specialises in assessment, training, employment consultancy and legal work

Dyslexia Support & Outreach Service

British Dyslexia Association

The website page has links to dyslexia checklists for adults and children plus information about screeners, diagnostic and workplace assessments.

PATOSSProfessional Association for Teachers of SpLD

Patoss has an online list of Patoss members who wish to have their names shown to other professionals or parents seeking tutors, assessment or advice. They provide specialist teaching and/or carry out assessments - for teaching, exam access arrangements or Disabled Students’ Allowance.

All those on the list are Patoss members who have an approved qualification and hold current Professional Indemnity Insurance. Details include qualifications, special professional interests, and preferred age ranges.