- The workshops take place on Saturday mornings in term time at Christ Church, Brighton Road, Purley, with 10 sessions a term.
- Class size is 10-12 students per session.
- The subsidised charge is £20 per session for a Key Stage 2 class, £25 for Key Stage 3, to be paid half termly in advance. The first session is a free taster session.
- Teaching is led by a qualified Specialist Dyslexia Teacher, supported by a Higher Level Teaching Assistant.
Key Stage 2 (Primary school years 3 to 6)
9.15am – 10.30am; 10.45am – 12.00 noon
Key Stage 3 (Secondary School years 7 to 9)
12:15am - 1:45pm
- Maths – key concepts and rote learning
- Reading – improving sight word recognition and phonic decoding
- Reading – fluency and accuracy
- Reading – comprehension
- Writing skills – spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Descriptive writing and literary devices
- Memory – retention and recall of information
- Memory and Learning strategies
- Confidence – developing and improving confidence levels and attitude to learning
The primary aim of Children will Shine is to provide an enjoyable and positive learning experience where children feel well supported and safe. When looking at progress, we believe that improvement in participation, confidence and self-esteem is as important for a child’s future success as improvement in literacy and numeracy skills.
If your child is dyslexic or has literacy difficulties and would benefit from additional support by coming to the Children Will Shine workshops, email [email protected] to find out more, or alternatively contact the CDA helpline on 0333 111 0066 or email [email protected].
Parents / carers – please discuss this with your child before contacting CDA about the workshops.
All parents/carers of students attending the workshops must be members of the Croydon Dyslexia Association